Tuesday, July 18, 2006

This came from ob!ique-

A challenge to my readers, if you comment on this post:

1. I'll respond with something random about you.
2. I'll challenge you to try something.
3. I'll pick a colour that I associate with you
4. I'll tell you something I like about you.
5. I'll tell you my first/clearest memory of you.
6. I'll tell you what animal you remind me of.
7. I'll ask you something I've always wanted to ask you.
8. If I do this for you, you must post this on your blog.

To answer her question (part 7):
I don’t think amazing is the right word, but they came from a tiny bit of mathematical analysis and extensive trail and error.


***


I’ve not been writing much these days; I have been preoccupied with:

Work
I’m still a part-time waiter. The hours are not bad, but the money can be better. At least I don’t get many wankers in the restaurant.


Mathematics
I went ahead with my decision to buy Penrose’s ‘Road to Reality: A complete guide to the laws of the universe’. I was getting stuck with contour integrals, unable to proceed satisfactorily for about 2 days. Then an old hand at contour integrals came online on MSN (after an absence for about 8 months) and cleared things up nicely.

But perhaps I am just being stupid- that question is clearly marked "in my undergraduate days, we used to have to proof things like […]. Do this if you have the necessary skills." I have only just grazed the surface of contour integrals, so it was a long shot. I still have not solved that problem.

I guess I should move on to the next chapter (Riemann Surfaces) instead.


Taking photographs
No elaboration needed.


Job applications
It’s starting to get worrying. Anyone needs to buy/ hire/ rent/ lease a mechanical engineer/ writer/ analyst?


Chinese language skills
I’m still learning, although not as intensely as when I started. I recently got hold of a magazine from China. The content is a lot like Reader’s Digest- a bit girly and slightly trivial but with good vocabulary development opportunities.



Labels: ,