Tuesday, July 18, 2006

This came from ob!ique-

A challenge to my readers, if you comment on this post:

1. I'll respond with something random about you.
2. I'll challenge you to try something.
3. I'll pick a colour that I associate with you
4. I'll tell you something I like about you.
5. I'll tell you my first/clearest memory of you.
6. I'll tell you what animal you remind me of.
7. I'll ask you something I've always wanted to ask you.
8. If I do this for you, you must post this on your blog.

To answer her question (part 7):
I don’t think amazing is the right word, but they came from a tiny bit of mathematical analysis and extensive trail and error.


***


I’ve not been writing much these days; I have been preoccupied with:

Work
I’m still a part-time waiter. The hours are not bad, but the money can be better. At least I don’t get many wankers in the restaurant.


Mathematics
I went ahead with my decision to buy Penrose’s ‘Road to Reality: A complete guide to the laws of the universe’. I was getting stuck with contour integrals, unable to proceed satisfactorily for about 2 days. Then an old hand at contour integrals came online on MSN (after an absence for about 8 months) and cleared things up nicely.

But perhaps I am just being stupid- that question is clearly marked "in my undergraduate days, we used to have to proof things like […]. Do this if you have the necessary skills." I have only just grazed the surface of contour integrals, so it was a long shot. I still have not solved that problem.

I guess I should move on to the next chapter (Riemann Surfaces) instead.


Taking photographs
No elaboration needed.


Job applications
It’s starting to get worrying. Anyone needs to buy/ hire/ rent/ lease a mechanical engineer/ writer/ analyst?


Chinese language skills
I’m still learning, although not as intensely as when I started. I recently got hold of a magazine from China. The content is a lot like Reader’s Digest- a bit girly and slightly trivial but with good vocabulary development opportunities.



Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger shifty said...

your turn, my friend :p

1:44 am, July 19, 2006  
Blogger Wuching said...

ok..i'll give it a go..

8:12 am, July 19, 2006  
Blogger Lao Chen said...

Ob!ique:
1. I was amazed you actually purchased a banana guard.
2. Link up Nasty Little Bootlicker :-p
3. Red- the colour and the ideology.
4. Those postcards you sent from various destinations were very uplifting. I still have them.
5. We were in Penang, getting a little huffed over some parking difficulties when you helped diffuse the situation with a pop.
6. This is trivial, yet tough. Fire ant- not the dumb, horny, bloated queen ant, but a member of the warrior class.
7. Do you intend to stay at the workplace? You seem happy there...

Wuching:
1. I did not know you existed until 2 weeks ago.
2. [void]
3. [void]
4. You look friendly when you smile.
5. I've only met you once...
6. Erm...kuching?
7. [void]

Sorry, I couldn't execute steps 2, 3 and 7 properly.

8:14 pm, July 19, 2006  
Blogger David said...

Hello,

If you're interested can have a look at UK companies, they need a lot of Engineers but Mech Eng i'm not too sure. Try using your Uni work placement/ student advice centre?

7:35 am, July 20, 2006  
Blogger Dr. Tan said...

Dr. Tan here, reporting for some random meme. Come to think of it I owe Obs hers. Must go handle it now.

1:23 pm, July 21, 2006  
Blogger ChinoDevean said...

I'll do one for you first, OK?

1. Your newly-added 'Avoidant' remark on your profile cracks me up.
2. Try reading a wuxia novel.
3. Purple, the stripes on your Prado
4. I like your conscientious attitude towards things, particularly towards social intercourse.
5. Lantau.
6. An impulsive stick insect.
7. Why prove space and time, knowing its just a state of the mind?
8. I'll consider it.

4:31 pm, July 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm.. this meme you got... its a rather infectious one.

Anyway I'll follow Hons lead..

1. The side kick picture is awesome.
2. Do a jumping 360 turning kick- reverse swing
3. Red Rossa. From you descrption of the Ferrari's colour.
4. The way you use the white man's language.
5. Plotting Dog's downfall..
6. Hermit..?
7. Why didnt you choose a math/science subject for your undergraduate degree?

Vic

9:44 pm, July 21, 2006  
Anonymous quest gal said...

see clause 8.
Does that mean i must have a blog to qualify?

11:25 pm, July 21, 2006  
Blogger Lao Chen said...

I'm leaving a lot of blanks, apologies.

David:
1. You posture in posed photographs look distinctively you.
2.
3. Blue, various shades.
4.
5. You bumped your head playing in the playground with other kids and was yelling loudly that you wanted to kill them. I was surprised your father took your killing intent so calmly.
6. Bull.
7.

Hou:
1. 5ygyh426u2453rgtj652 (this is a random alpha-numeric string)
2. Slap Emily
3. Orange-Arrows scheme
4. Someone to talk automotive technology with.
5. Me flinging the spongy core of a jambu air at you, missing and splattering a wall. I think i got caned for that mess.
6. Probably related to pandas...
7. Who is Epsilon?

Shyan Yih:
1. I like your TTDI apartment's quietness. It's got good natural light too.
2.
3. Pastel shades.
4.
5. The Early/Mid 90s: a chubby prefect with a green tie (Puay Chai's sign of membership of the Inner Party)
6.
7.

Vic:
1. That White Dwarf paper was VERY well written.
2. Punctuate fastidiously and use proper tenses. :P
3.
4. You influenced me to start writing after producing with 'Redang Delight X'.
5. Eating in class during English tuition at Puay Chai during std 3 in 1992. You were extremely untidy, and i did not want to have anything to do with you at all. Bad aura.
6.
7. Are you in Malaysia now?

ps.- We had bit of training in jumping 360 turning kick- reverse swing at PTC early this year. I can do that satisfactorily already.

At that time, I did not know I am actually able to manipulate abstract objects.

Quest Gal:
Probably not...but i dont know you yet. I think.

11:34 pm, July 21, 2006  
Blogger quest_gal 仪 said...

Oops, run-time error in clause 1. System terminate.

Anyway, was attracted to your photographs, especially those on night scenery.

Very well taken. =)

12:18 am, July 22, 2006  
Blogger sonia said...

Yay! I didn't wanted to reply to this initially, cos I really lazy to post this onto my blog la BUT since a few has said they might not repost, so yay, do mine. Hehe! =)

I reply to u either on ur blog or email to u la (later).. =))

1:09 am, July 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home