Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Library photography

[Due to the inherently large quantity of colour information on each photograph, the file sizes are large even though the quality is not magnificent. While waiting, you can think of that patience-related cliché.]


I’m sure the theme of libraries has been done before, again and again. But this is my attempt.





Click here for large size image





Click here for large size image





Click here for large size image





Click here for large size image





Clichéd Irony

Click here for large size image




Yesterday, I saw an utterly remarkable scene. It was twilight, just after sunset, the western horizon faintly aglow with fading memories of the sun. The air was wonderfully clear, not a trace of water droplets even in the upper atmosphere. The western sky was coloured a magnificent shade of dark blue. Ultramarine. Deep, luxurious and very rare.

And, hanging about 15 degrees above the western horizon was a thin sliver of a crescent moon, about to follow the sun’s plop into the horizon.

I was in the tram heading out of the city centre, and the view was magnificent:
Silhouette of the city skyline, backlit by the orange-smeared horizon.
Above the buildings and the narrow span of orangey goodness, the sky is a rich, dark blue, slowly fading to darkness upwards.
Above the skyline, about several building-heights above the sprawl of high rise offices, was the moon, a gleaming silver arc reminding us of the Soviet Union’s sickle, dismembered and chrome plated.
Not quite surprisingly, I did not have my camera with me, and I was short of time anyway.


Today, the sky was cloudy. I made my way towards the top of the western stairwell of the Psychology Building anyway, having to climb 12 flights of stairs because the lifts had decided to fuck makelove themselves.

After 20 minutes of a boring sunset, and I made my way down, pissed off.

I then went to the Rowden White Library, where the above photographs were shot. It’s a recreation library, which would explain the non-academic journals and novels.

When the library closed at 6pm, I was shooed out of the facility. I made my way up the western stairwell again, just to see if the moon had appeared from behind the blinding daylight and clouds. It had, but the foreground of floodlit tennis courts was extremely uninspiring.



On returning, the lifts cooperated so I did not have to trek my way down 10 flights of stairs.

They refer to this sort of blog entries as eat-shit-sleep posts.
I did this. Then I did that. After that, I went on to do this other thing. At that moment, she called up, hehehe. And then I went for dinner with Boris. Japanese food so nice ^.^
You get the idea. At least I have photos.




Labels: