Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Updates

Aren't my post titles getting more and more exciting? Updates! How exciting it that?


The past 2 days were quite interesting.

Sunday dinner was spent with David, Diana, Jean and Mun Yi. Discussion seemed to circulate around the one issue: will you extend your stay in Australia after graduating?

A few considerations:
Familiarity
Future implications of Australian work experience
Opportunities for us, Chinese Malaysian (or was it Malaysian Chinese? I can’t see the syntax difference) Australian graduates. Aren’t you glad I dropped in that bracketed comment to separate Chinese Malaysia Australian?
Political stability
Purchasing power

And there are also the implicit ones:
How does the individual value each one of the previous attributes?
What does the individual want?



Someone (David, I think) did mention, why return home now? Stay here and rob them first before you go home. How much did you pay for your education?

Precisely my thoughts.


***


The early part of Monday afternoon was spent watching a concert with a colleague in the Music Faculty. Colleague makes us sound professional when we merely wait tables. The pianist was Judy Pang, who won scholarships (best student, I think) every year during her education at the Shanghai Music Conservatory. And then more scholarships in the University of Melbourne.

Drifted around the city for a while before settling for a latte at Starbucks. I learned that the Chinese education system (in China) is quite a shocker to our pampered Malaysian buttocks. Imagine a school day from 6.30am to 6.30pm for upper secondary, and 6.30am to 4pm for primary school. And, 6.30am to 9pm for upper secondary in some schools.

Our 7.30 to 1.10 lifestyle came as an equal surprise.




Two Lattes

Click here for large size image

Tell me, does the saturation adjustment, multi-channel noise addition, ISO400 sensitivity, layering help the image look like an old photgraph, or just the shitty product of a camera-phone?



I was supposed to do some outdoor portraits for the Head Chef and his family, but intermittent rain and the unforgiving cold put a lid on that plan. He called me to have dinner at his house instead, where I had my third coffee of the day.

So it’s instant coffee at home, latte at Starbucks, and Ipoh white coffee at the Head Chef’s place.

Time to sleep.

Labels: ,