Tuesday, October 18, 2005

From the disturbing diaries of Yee Wei

From the disturbing diaries of Yee Wei


Where am I?
How did I end up in a room without a door or window on all four walls?

Four walls?

I looked again, and found that I was in a triangular room. But there was something amiss about this room. It certainly did look like a rectangular room. It still does look like a rectangular room. But it has only three walls.

I made my way towards the middle of the room, circumnavigating a few beat-up articles of furniture along the way. I turned around a few times, meticulously counting the number of walls and observing the corners. Indeed there were only flat three walls, and each of the three corners where the walls met were all perpendicular, yet the room was closed in a square shape!

Too disturbed by this apparent failure of geometry, I sat at one of the chairs and rested my head on the table.

The table!
The tabletop was a triangle, but all three corners were right angle corners. And the sides remain perfectly straight.

What sort of perverted, non-Euclidean universe have I gotten myself into? More importantly, how did I get into such a situation anyway? I bet the inhabitants of this twisted universe are all devil worshippers and communists.

I found a pen in my breast pocket. It was the beautiful Parker ballpoint that Grand Uncle gave me for my birthday. For lack of anything better to do, since continuing to puzzle about the 3-sided rectangles was not really getting me anywhere, I doodled on the table.

I got bored of framing the table with spirals and heart shapes, and moved to squares. I stared with a long straight line. At one end of this line, I drew a second line perpendicular to the first. Then, at the end of the second line, I drew another line perpendicular to the second line. Just as I was about to prepare for the fourth line, I noticed that the square was already complete and closed, with three lines and three corners!

I was so freaked out I dropped the pen.





Labels: