Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The end is near

It is a little surreal. Not because the world has been a bit surreal lately, but mostly because I don’t feel it’s very surreal.

This is the last week of lectures for the semester. Baring any accidents, disasters and catastrophes, this will be the final week of lectures that I will ever undertake in the university.

I was made aware of this 2 Thursdays ago when a lecturer wrapped up his lessons with something along the lines of “it was nice lecturing you guys over the past 2.5 years. Do say hi to me if you see me along the street.” Being so wrapped up in my daily routine, I barely noticed the passing of time until it was bluntly brought to my attention.

“Wh… what?” I babble like a man whose mistress had just told him, “I’m pregnant.”
“I said I’m pregnant.”
“But… how…when…how… how… birth control pills…” I continued to blabber senselessly, at the same time not making any sense of the world around me.
“I forgot them after the time we met in the Buckingham Palace,” she smiled lovingly at the memory. “Do you remember when the guards in their silly red uniforms chased us after…”
“Shut up. This is not funny!”
“Oh, I’ve always wanted a baby. We can raise him in a happy family- you and me with the child, in a little house in the outskirts of town…”
“Wh… What?! Aren’t you getting an abortion? And what about my wife and children?”


Returning back to reality, I’ve got only two more days of lessons. Yes, Friday is my day off ever since we finished the major project and the Computational Mechanics lecturer completed the course with his “say hi if you see me along the street.”

But it’s not ending that soon. I’ve still got my examinations to go through, scheduled on the 15, 16 and 25 of November. Then I’ll be hanging around till I graduate on the 17th December. Then I’ll be flying home with my family on the 25th December, on the 12.45am flight out of Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur.



The future is ahead. I can see it. But I cannot see inside of it.






Labels: