Monday, August 28, 2006

The closed loop






Click here for large size image



In college, organic chemistry was my favourite subject. It was not because it was interesting, nor because it had real world applications.

I loved it because it appeared so difficult. The amount of equations, processes and reaction steps that one needed to know was frightful. Fortunately, I chanced upon an underlying structure (out of many others, no doubt) to all those migrating electrons and apparitional bonds. It should not surprise anyone- it was electro-negativity. Instead of relying on the brute force of memory, I had the periodic table to help me. The universe ceased to be a mystery- it was 42.

After that, I moved on, and went on to study mechanical engineering. Organic chemistry, although an interesting experience, appeared to have been nothing more than a sightseeing detour.

Three years later, a small part of organic chemistry finally became applicable in my life. I made chilli oil.



Okay, enough of that rubbish. I made chilli oil yesterday, this time a larger quantity that before, and with an interesting twist on the side.

Also ready is a small quantity of Szechuan pepper oil made by heating dried pepper husks (花椒) in very hot oil for about 10 minutes. The vat of chilli oil will be doped with a prudent quantity of pepper oil to give it a tinge of lip-numbing effect.




Click here for large size image


On a more personal front, my family and a large bunch of relatives (of about 18 people) are making enquiries towards a trip to Beijing somewhere this December.

2 days ago, they were having a dinner together when I exchanged a few text messages with my mother.
Having dinner in Renaissance Hotel with Chongs, Loongs and guests from Malacca. […] We all miss you.
Send my regards to them all. The grapevine tells me of a trip to Beijing. Sounds fantastic. Can you all please get me a quote too?
They say the same to you. By the way, quote for 1 or 2? (WTH...)
Don’t care 1, 2 or 9. Can get the quote in a quantity-invariant form, such as cost per unit participant.
To share a room is cheaper than single occupancy!!
That sounds something the aunts would say. Send her a snort and a grimace.
Ya, actually your aunts dictated that massage to me. Guess you know only too well how their minds work.
[...]
Stopped by at Sabrina’s house after dinner, just got back 1 hour ago. JLee came to sleep over, with just a toothbrush in her hand. She is so cute. Tomorrow we’re all going to Jonathan’s birthday.

Damn, how I miss their company. I’m going to Beijing.




Click here for large size image





Labels: , ,