Thursday, May 18, 2006

Stuff of (impermanant) dreams

That Lotus Elise is getting more attractive by the day. Or rather, I'm allowing myself to be more attached to that Lotus Elise.

In Europe of the 18th century, Immanuel Kant noted that a person is only truly free if he/she acts independently of desires, ego, social expectations and self interest. In the words of Sophie and Alberto Knox in Sophie's World (Gaarder, Jostein; London; 1995):
“So when you choose not to be mean – even if it’s against your own interests – you are then acting freely.”
“You’re not especially free or independent if you just do what you want, in any case.”
“One can become a slave to all kinds of things. One can even become a slave to one’s own egoism. Independence and freedom are exactly what are required to rise above one’s desire and wishes.”

By the way, to the uninitiated, this Lotus Elise is a metaphor for an attachment of mine. It is yellow in colour.

On the issue of cars, I saw a particularly interesting Audi yesterday afternoon while waiting for the tram. It was an RS4. It sounded absolutely magnificent even when puttering along. Even better, I think, than the Mercedes E55 AMG. Yes, I’ve heard that car too.

Now, if you’d excuse me, I need to work on my Chinese.

A mathematics or applied science post tomorrow. Promise.


Labels: , ,