Friday, January 27, 2006

Camera suggestions?

I could be getting my very own digital camera (finally!). I'm quite fascinated by both the 8 megapixel Panasonic FZ30 with 12x Leica zoom lens with zoom and focus rings, and the 5 megapixel Panasonic FZ5, also with 12x Leica lens but with no manual focus and slightly less flexibility.

Leica optics has a good reputation, and reviews indicate that the Panasonic user interface is brilliant.

The remaining question is one of reliability and relative cost.


The other options that remain are the 6 megapixel Olympus SP 500 UZ, with a mere 10x zoom, or the 5 megapixel Canon S2 with 12x.

DSLRs and lenses are out of my price bracket so please keep recomendations of the Canon EOS 5D to yourselves thank you.


Anyone out there with comments on Panasonic digital cameras?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Tan said...

Well, with us being Olympus users, I think it'll be better if you stick to the Olympus. It looks pretty good in black, and I believe it would be very much similiar to ours, which I am happy about, except that it's a tad slow.
Since you do many macros, the S2 IS would also be good.
The manual focus ring I doubt will be much use as there are manual focus functions on our cameras. Will the presence of a MF ring equate to the absence of autofocus? If yes, forget that then. ngan fa sometimes

11:57 pm, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Dr. Tan said...

One more thing. When comparing items, always check the cons first.
Check the FZ30. I would not want it anymore..

12:25 am, January 28, 2006  
Anonymous louyau said...

I know Panasonic's leica lens is good and plus it has a image stabilizer ... meaning ... taking macro at low lights actually gives quite good definitions as well.

But since i am a Canon user and i shall still recommend Canon s2 ... why?

This is because ... Canon are more rigid in its S2 series ... I have friend who was a professional camera lens repairer and cleaner in London.

He said ... Canon S1 actually has a double casing in it which took him 2 hours to dis-assamble before he can actually get to the motherboard to repair ...

While other D-SLR ... the casing alll feel so plastic. So by any chance you dropped it? Damn... sorry man.

And Canon's quality's not bad. If ... by any chance you want to see the comparison between Panasonic Z series and Canon S2 ?

Here's the link ...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/...ns2is/ page8.asp

12:38 am, January 28, 2006  
Anonymous LcF said...

I vote for Canon, too.
Canon digital cameras are known to have good photo quality.

1:33 am, January 28, 2006  
Anonymous yothemans.com said...

the fz30 is super good with the mega OIS.
canon is good for the picture quality also,but s2 does not have anti shake la.
FZ30 would be my bet, since i have tried it before,and if you are zooming far object,that's when the MEGA OIS becomes handy.

3:05 am, January 28, 2006  
Blogger Selba said...

hi there, got here from plink's blog :)

I've been using my Panasonic Lumix modle FX8 for about 1/2 year already. So far, I really like it though I still confused why the optical image stabilizer doesn't work so good, still get blur pictures especially for the close up ones.

8:51 am, February 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home