Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Updates

As previously mentioned, I’ll be moving away from my current flat. So far, the remaining things that needs to be packed are not much. Mostly little bits and bobs that will be needed/wanted to the last minute.

My 2.1 speaker set has been disassembled, and my printer will be disconnected soon. The keyboard will have to go too. After that, you will not see me write anything for a few days; typing with the notebook’s compressed keyboard is very annoying. And to add insult to injury, this Compaq runs really hot, and typing on a scorching keyboard is a sure way to cancer of the wrist cartilage tissue. Joking.

On Thursday afternoon, I will fly for home. In the mean time, there is a lot to be done, including to find a new room to come back to.


Over the past years I’ve been at Melbourne, I have not had those dreaded pangs of homesickness that many complain about. Strangely enough, I felt a slight tremor yesterday while chatting with a cousin. For some reason, perhaps her slightly matured behaviour and young cheekiness, she is one of the younger ones closer the few of us older cousins.


Observant stalkers may have noticed previous mention of the book Gravity: an introduction to Einstein’s general relativity. It’s difficult, with loads of unfamiliar equations and mathematical methods.

Part way into the book, the author turn to deep space. Cosmology is very useful as a tool to tell the reader how insignificant he/she actually is. The length scales are awesome, with parsecs, kiloparsecs, megaparsecs and the occasional gigaparsec jumping up and down the pages. And by the way, a parsec is about 3.26 light years, and the edge of the observable universe is about 14Mpc away. And that is very far away. I'll not even bother to repeat 'very'; its no point doing that regardless how many times I repeat it.


Returning to smaller scale issues, I’ve almost finished a 4 litre tub of ice cream single-handedly in about 10 days. When contemplating what to eat for my ‘dinner’ meal at about 2am, I usually reduce the problem to a rather simple decision choice:
1. Cook
2. Ice-cream

I think ice-cream has an unfair advantage- it won many times.


My mother asked me to buy a current issue of the ‘Table’ magazine for her, which I did. Flipping through it, I saw that the theme of the month is ice-cream. This is so going to kick ass. I even purchased dried vanilla pods from the market (in preparation for the vanilla ice-cream recipe- I preplan in certain cases); they are rather expensive, but I’ve been told that the fragrance is much better than bottled vanilla essence. The ice-cream is so going to kick ass. If mom is not making it, I'll do it with my cousin(s) and brother(s). This is so going to kick ass.


I was chatting with The Architect on MSN this evening, and we were lamenting about the number of things we have to rush through before our flights home.

The Architect: y did we leave things so late?
Tan Yee Wei: hello? its us ok
err.... yeah....
if we dint, god will reveal himself and slit his wrists in front of our eyes
lol
true

No blasphemy intended. I will not entertain discussing about how blasphemous this conversation was.


I’ve a nagging feeling that my next entry will be after I’ve had my mandatory serving of asam laksa, which should be pretty soon anyway.



Labels: