Monday, May 18, 2009

Finally putting things into practice

I have been unable to access any blogspot sites since Friday, a remarkable coincidence with my little outburst against the local government regime. Perhaps they are related?

Anywhere else and I’d have said bullshit, but this country has proven itself at being able to throw up unpleasant surprise after unpleasant surprise after unpleasant surprise.


***


In the intervening time, I have FINALLY taken the time to actually start some financial planning. Like what the texts books have been telling me since… June 2007.

1. Identify financial needs and goals
2. Allocate assets

In line with item 1, I did a budget forecast of my next big thrust into fatherhood dictatorship, and the initial results were not encouraging. 10,000 AUD just to secure a miserable seat in the Outer Party’s Supervisory Committee is just… depressing.

How the fish do these crooks finance themselves into the Inner Party Censorship Board and Economic Planning Council? Ok fine, stupid question: they are crooks.


The asset allocation bit was a bit trickier. Having made earlier contributions to various mutual funds, I had to break down each fund into its constituent asset types to find my total exposure to each asset type. Then compare the existing allocation to the target allocation etc etc.


Ok I’ll not bore you with the number-crunching and data manipulation game.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous I-Chen said...

Good to know that you're putting theory into practice. I believe Morningstar has a feature that allows to see your exposure according to asset classes. It's called the "X-ray" function if I'm not mistaken. (I had to churn out tons of reports from Morningstar for my work last time.) I don't know if it's available to everyone or if you need to have a paid subscription in order to access it. Either way, good luck and enjoy scrutinizing it!

4:14 pm, May 18, 2009  
Blogger Tan Yee Wei said...

Oo thanks! Sadly, it only supports US securities.
Back to the basics for me...

5:36 pm, May 18, 2009  
Blogger sabrina said...

I feel your frustration dear *hugs*

I'm sending you a telepathic tequila shot...i know you don't drink but it really does work like a charm :p

10:09 pm, May 18, 2009  
Blogger Tan Yee Wei said...

Aww thanks. Your telepathic tequila shot was great.

It had all the psychoactive goodness of a hit of spirit, without the nasty (personal opinion only!) taste of ethanol.

Or perhaps it's merely the placebo effect heh. Whatever *diva-like wave of the hand*

10:20 am, May 19, 2009  
Blogger Atlasya said...

Oh dear. I don't think it's anything to do with you though. I heard the the great firewall has recently banned blogspot RSS feeds too. I think they just really don't like Blogger.

And I can't wait for the day when I can do all that number crunching with my salary/savings too.

12:25 am, May 20, 2009  
Blogger Tan Yee Wei said...

Yes, Google Reader feeds too those tossers *evil stare*
Now I have to use proxies to visit all the Blogger-based blogs, and proxies are clunky and slow =(
Fuckers.

Actually the text books recommend that you start now to forecast how much you'd need in n years when you want to:
-Make a baby
-Get married
-Migrate
-Pay down payment for a house
(not necessarily in that order heh)

It's good to know how much you need and how much you ought save a month to reach that goal etc etc. Unfortunately, it's depressing as [expletive] because the exercise highlights how little I have.

8:50 am, May 20, 2009  
Anonymous huiwen said...

fantastic i think

12:02 am, May 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home