Friday, November 24, 2006

The countdown has started

In five days, I will be pushed into a pressurised vessel (in the form of a Boeing 747-400) and flown into Kuala Lumpur with several kilograms of photographic equipment, junk food and clothing.

Application of full throttle on the 747’s four turbofan engines would be a notable event marking the end of a significant phase of my life.

The past 6 months had been amazing. I learned to be financially self sufficient (taking money from my parents after becoming eligible for professional employment would be extremely unethical). Waiting tables improved my self-confidence. My Chinese improved a fair bit. I took a lot of photographs. I looked for and found a professional job. I met a remarkable person. I no longer find gays scary (except for the weirdest ones).

The lifestyle was wonderful. Averaging at about 16 hours of work weekly and not having any lectures to worry about, I had lots of time. I could drift out for a coffee or breakfast together with office workers having their lunches. Or I could freeload on magazines at the bookshop while everyone else was busy working or studying, then flit off to dinner.



My graduation last year was for my parents- they had successfully raised a son to the level of Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical). For me, there was no sense of achievement. All tuition fees and expenses were paid by my parents. Due to luck, the final project was remarkably stress-free. The ceremony felt hollow, tedious even. But don't get me wrong, I am grateful.

This six months, however, are almost entirely mine. Almost, because significant credit must be still given to my parents, Tracey, May and David.



At the end of my undergraduate degree, I was fretting about having to stop bumming, start working and be responsible. Now that I am a bit tired of waiting tables (after having figured out how to coax the coffee machine to help me pour latte-art), professional work and the associated money is starting to look attractive.



In five day’s time, I will be flying home for a holiday, then to Beijing on the 24th. I’ll start work several days after I get back to Melbourne. Then, a new phase would start.

But first, I’m off to think about packing.


***


This afternoon brought with good weather and bad developments. Sigh. :(

PS: I just realised that I wrote "I met a remarkable person. I no longer find gays scary." They are in no way connected.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous ah pek said...

welcome home!

but sad you prefer not to stay.

There goes another good brain.

8:33 am, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Wuching said...

good on u! have a great time in beijing!

6:01 pm, November 25, 2006  
Blogger 小李飞刀 said...

From what I've heared, things normally go downhill after you start working. But oh well... at least you'll have a nice pay check to compensate that.

Oh.. and like the last picture,could have easily been mistaken as an album cover for a band called 7 apples

6:05 pm, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Lao Chen said...

Ah Pek:
Well, I do not intend to make it a long term thing.

We'll see...

Wuching:
Thank you,

Little Lee:
Yes, that is probably very true. I wouldn't call it 'nice', more like average. No fireworks.

Mm, if that was a cover for an album by 7 Apples it'd be nice. I havent seen many covers lately; i usually download my music.

10:37 pm, November 25, 2006  
Blogger lcf said...

what a flash back... good luck in running on the wide and straight road ahead.

3:24 pm, November 26, 2006  
Blogger sabrina said...

Well first of all I know this is a little late but Congratulations on your graduation. Mechanical Engineer???!! Big brain la you!

Secondly, hope you have a blast in Beijing!! Please do write a post on traveling in Beijing if possible cos i'm planning on goin there for the Olympics :P (At least i think that's where it is)

1:35 pm, November 27, 2006  
Blogger Lao Chen said...

LCF:
Not sure if it'd be straight or smooth, but thanks.

Sabrina:
TQ. Btw, that LCF above was my project partner.

Maybe not write about it, but definitely will have photos. Possibly even a shitload of them.

8:33 pm, November 27, 2006  
Blogger DonkeyBlog said...

As an ex-partiate Melbournian, I enjoy reading about your life at "home". Good luck with Malaysia, and don't forget Melbs.

12:53 pm, December 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home