Monday, December 05, 2005

Updates

I have not been pondering much about mathematics lately, which might come as a bit of a surprise considering the great strides I have made in advancing my understanding in the previous months.

I guess now that I have achieved my target of getting the hand of real numbers and continuity, there is no real drive to move forward. True, there are other much, much more exciting topics such as topology and differential equations, but now that I’m graduating, I don’t think I’ll be able to loan from the university’s library.

I’ve still got a brilliant book on general relativity though. Gravity- an introduction to Einstein’s general relativity by James Hartley. That book is part of the reason I have not been doing much mathematics.



Also, I’ve been sucked into an interesting vice. Of all the bad things I could pick up, I managed to scoop up Blizzard’s World of Warcraft (WoW). It’s a massive multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG), and it’s a in a huge huge huge realm. The map feels a lot like Google Earth. You zoom out, and out, and out, and you are lost. You can’t find which location to zoom in back on. Bloody hell, the game’s very addictive. There are even professions which your character can develop. Mine’s a miner and blacksmith.

Fortunately, I do not play it on my computer. While he is on holiday back in Malaysia, The Computer Engineer has left his belongings at The Architect’s apartment, including the high performance computer. The WoW software belongs to The Computer Engineer, but The Architect has rights to access the online game. So I sometimes hop over to his place two floors down from my apartment to play.

By the way I’m a level 7 Gnomish paladin going under the name HamSapMonk. I don’t know which server though.


I’ve been cleaning and tidying in anticipation of my family’s visit in mid-December. I came across some precious poetry written by my cousins and god-sister, when they were about 12 years of age. By some quirk of nature, I have somehow been nicknamed 婆婆, while my brother is 公公. These pieces were written for my 19th birthday in 2002. I'm still so chuffed.

人之初,
性本良,
陈婆婆,
爱打畔,
mini 群,
一寸半,
风一吹,
公公看。


床前明月光,
婆婆脱光光,
要给公公看,
把灯开光光。


I'm intend to keep these masterpieces, for their (and my) grandchildrens' reference. Ob!ique, I'm keeping your postcards too.



Labels: