Sunday, November 23, 2008

Several days ago, I thought I had reverse engineered a fantastic technique for making fried rice. It was brilliant; who knew plain fried rice with egg, garlic and a pinch of szechuan pepper would be so good.

Later, I saw that the szechuan pepper powder contained the following: szechuan pepper, salt, MSG.

Shit, MSG.

Today, I repeated the recipe, omitting the sinister szechuan pepper powder. The rice turned out as expected, but without that mind-blowing edge. The technique works, but it’s not a silver bullet, one-shot-kill kind of trump card.

7 Comments:

Blogger sabrina said...

Growing up we use to put Ajinomoto in practically everything!!! Which probably explains our failing eyesights now since MSG has been associated with blindness :(

12:43 am, November 24, 2008  
Blogger Atlasya said...

The guy who manages to create a MSG substitute without all the evul effects would make such a killing from Chinese all over.

12:26 pm, November 24, 2008  
Blogger Tan Yee Wei said...

Sabrina:
My family has this thing against MSG, so we don't use it at home. Still, my eyesight is not very good wtf.

Atlasya:
Haha yes, until the Chinese figure out the manufacturing technique and start selling pirated MSG substitute at 1/10 the original product's price.

Though my issue with MSG is that i view it as a cheat (in Doom 2, that would be iddqd and idkfa heh). And if I can finish the level without cheats, i'll do it.

12:46 pm, November 24, 2008  
Blogger jean` said...

paranoiaaaaa!

2:25 pm, November 25, 2008  
Blogger Tan Yee Wei said...

It's not a paranoia; it's just a matter of principle. I know that I consume loads of it outside, cutting down on it at home is not going to help a lot.

5:21 pm, November 25, 2008  
Blogger Atlasya said...

LoL, I remember those cheats. I couldn't have finished Doom 2 without them. =P Invulnerability and maxing out the weapons, right?

1:52 am, November 28, 2008  
Blogger Tan Yee Wei said...

Yeah =)
I never did finish doom though, too freaked out by the dark corridors.

I still think some of the monsters are iconic, like the floating flaming bull heads or the loud clunking mechanical spiders.

9:31 am, November 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home