Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Kitchen accident results in loss of blood.

Recently I cut myself with the one of the sharp knives I have in the kitchen. Disturbingly, it’s the second time in about 5 weeks. I haven’t been cut by a knife in many years, and getting slit twice is plain humiliating.

The first accident happened a few days after I boasted about my knife sharpening skills. While making myself dinner, the knife somehow fell off the counter. I was not so stupid as to try catching the falling knife; as had become instinct, I quickly realigned by feet to snap them away from danger. Unfortunately, my thumb was near the falling scene, and the knife’s cutting edge happened to strike my thumb.

The cut itself was not painful, but it was very deep. Sharp blade ma. The bleeding continued long after I applied a bandage to the laceration, soaking the plaster with a messy red fluid.

Yesterday, I was slicing mushrooms. All was going fine- the knife had adopted a sure rhythm, and mushroom slices were being generated at a steady pace. A slight mismatch in relative velocity resulted in the knife moving before the fingers had relocated properly, causing the blade to come onto the left index finger.

If I did not have fingernails, it is conceivable that the blade would cut through soft tissue and tendons all the way to the bone. If I did not have bones in my finger, the last 15mm of finger would probably have dropped off.

Getting cut is embarrassing. Having played with for knives almost daily for two years already, this should not have happened. I ought take better care, and lose some of that overconfidence.