Friday, June 24, 2005

How I disproved the existence of the week

I’m done with my exams this semester.

At the moment, I’m taking a few days off before restarting work on my major project. We’ve got plenty to catch up on for that one.

It appears that today is Friday, but it feels very much like a Sunday.
From the above sentence, we say that Fridays and Sundays are one and the same (statement 1).

On the other hand, most people tell me the days are ordered in this manner:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday… (statement 2)

Combining statement 1 and 2:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday… (statement 3)
Note that we can freely interchange the Fridays and Sundays from statement 2 due to the relationship given in statement 1.

However, the order of days as given in statement 3 violate that given in statement 2. Hence, the truth of statements 1 and 2 are mutually exclusive (statement 4): they cannot be true at the same time.

I would rather believe what I sense rather than plainly agreeing to what others tell me. So statement 1 is true and statement 2 is false. (statement 5)

[We’re short on time here. I’ll just jump a few steps ahead and you can figure out the intermediate proofs at your own pace.]

And thus, it should be clear that the days of the week as presented in statement 2 do not exist.
Q.E.D.*



On another note, I borrowed something from the mathematics library this afternoon:

A Primer of Analytic Number Theory
From Pythagoras to Riemann

by Jeffrey Stopple
Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom, 2003.


Should be an interesting read. I am partly familiar with both Pythygoras and Riemann. Everything in between should fall into place like a well oiled yau zha kuai into a bowl of bak kut teh. Actually, that's flawed reasoning, and a horrid analogy to boot.



Q.E.D.- "quod erat demonstrandum", Latin for "that which was to be demonstrated"