Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Random images from Guangzhou

The Chen Clan Academy is a very well preserved home of a well-to-do family bearing the same surname as myself.

It's a huge place, with elaborately sculpted architectural features, large halls, long corridors and spacious courtyards.

A huge rock carving with fantastic 3D detailing was set in the front wall of the mansion.








Click here for large size image



There were many long corridors and doorways:







Click here for large size image







The weather was terrible in Guangzhou. With daytime temperatures of 30 - 36 degrees C and relative humidity of 60 - 90%, we felt like fishes being steamed in a clear, sweaty broth.



Do not be deceived by the pretty rays of sunlight, tufts of clouds and clear blue sky; this is far from heaven.



We got our nails manicured for 20 RMB each. I was extremely disappointed with it. The nails were trimmed, filed and rounded. The cuticles were pushed back and trimmed with a cuticle cutter. A layer of polish was then applied (which I did not opt for).



So I paid 20 RMB to get my nails trimmed. Pfft. Where's the emery board and multi-stage buffing? Why aren't my nails ground smooth and then polished to the shine of a brand new PVC bottle?

For RM5 (~10 RMB), I can get myself a nail buffing kit and do it for everyone.

:(

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous shiehmay said...

menicure? aiks.. Cousin..cousin.. China is changing you..LOL.
glad you like buffers- i remember the day i introduce them to you and it changed your life(nails)forever huh?

jean: sorry i made him like that.. but then on the bright side.. you can get ur nails buffered for free!!

LOL.. glad you guys enjoy your holidays.. where is my buah tangan????

12:33 pm, June 25, 2008  
Blogger jean` said...

may: sobs, why! Perhaps I should pass him my little rectangular nail buffer.. or just pass it to him everytime I see him (for a free manicure :P)

buah tangan... *looks at Wei*

12:43 pm, June 25, 2008  
Blogger Tan Yee Wei said...

May:
Yes, I'm so glad I fiddled with your buffing kit. Ha what buah tangan?

Jean:
Ooh you've got a nail buffer!

:D

10:02 am, June 26, 2008  
Blogger jean` said...

wei: yes, got it some time ago.
Only got 1 problem. I believe.... its..... in Coburg HAHA :P

mom's got one too, back home :D free manicure in October yes?

7:32 pm, June 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home