Friday, June 06, 2008

It seems that I have made a difference in the universe. While not a massive feat, it's definitely non-trivial.

The god-sister wrote:

As I plump myself into the back seat of my friend’s car on the way home from tuition and with my left cheek touching the cold surface of the car’s window, I thought about the boring-to-you-yet-interesting-to-me identity numbers. This was passed down to me by my great mathematics teacher who also happens to be my god brother, Tan Yee Wei (aka the Pink Man).

[Future reference for self when I get amnesia: Identity numbers are numbers that leave another number unchanged when an operation is applied. Yeah, I think that’s what he said. It seems so much less magical now that I’ve learnt in school. But a few years back when algebra was foreign to me, it was simply fascinating. He told me that the identity of addition (and subtraction) operations is 0 whereas the identity number for multiplication (or division) is 1. It’s simple really, if you add any number by 0, or subtract for that matter, you get the same number, thus 0 is the identity. And if you multiply or divide a number by 1, you’d also find yourself with the same number you started off with. Cool eh? Yes. I’m a dweeb. And come to think about it, I still find it quite fascinating. I mean, who would ever think about that sort of things?]

Well, that gave me a jump-start and got my mind churning. I realise that I have this hunger for knowledge. I love to inquire as I feast on information. As a matter of fact, I tend to be in favour of self-realizations. Likewise, I find myself always wanting to be the best that I can be.

Labels: ,