Friday, January 11, 2008

2007

My 2007 started in the dimly-lit cabin of a Boeing 767 on a flight from Beijing to Kuala Lumpur. From KL, I fluttered to Melbourne where I started work on my first professional job in fire engineering.




February was marked by my first New Year away from home. I also moved from a room in a low-cost flat to a townhouse shared with The Architect and The Chemist.




Much of March was whiled away playing Gran Tourismo 3, unfortunately.

I took a week off work to fly home for an aunt’s wedding in May, and also partly due to homesickness. Seeing my family, aunts and cousins gave me a much-needed revival.




In July, I started studying financial derivatives and investment planning, courtesy of several text books loaned by Jean.

August was dominated by a major push to revamp my CV and preposterously many dinners with a Jean, who was due to leave Melbourne at the end of the month.

A portion of October was dedicated to analysing air-fares for December between Melbourne and Kuala Lumpur.

November went by in a blur of differential equations as I independently derived the higher-order derivatives of the Black-Scholes prices of options. Joo Lee and her mother visited Melbourne; it was a few wonderful days with them.




December was marked with plenty of travelling, briefly summarised as:
Melbourne-Singapore-Melbourne-Kuala Lumpur-Singapore-Kuala Lumpur-Hong Kong-Shenzhen-Hong Kong-Macau-Hong Kong. Also repaid my parents a huge debt associated with various air fares and miscellaneous outlays, totalling a massive RM 10,000.




My 2007 ended at the Tsim Sa Tsui waterfront with the brothers and cousins.





Development for the year was concentrated in finance. No ground-breaking insights were made through mathematics. Physics took a back seat for most of the time except when I was flying. Advances in photography were in the use of microphotography, prime lenses and off-camera flash photography.



And in the near future, I will:
- resign from my position
- fly home (again!) for the New Year
- start work in Shanghai

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger jean` said...

it seems 1 new year, 1 new job. eh?

12:36 am, January 12, 2008  
Blogger sabrina said...

Hope you are feeling better now dude...it's always hard being away from home...it's got its pros and cons i guess. On the one hand you get to live your own life and i think you tend to aprreciate each other better and fight less, but on the other hand that horrible loneliness sets in

Anyway hopefully this new year will bring you much success and happiness :p

12:27 am, January 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home