Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Karting in the wet

We (Asyraf, the two brothers and myself) arrived at the track just in time to catch the start of a downpour.

When the rain slowed to a drizzle, we went onto the track on slick tyres. Grip was ridiculously low, allowing drifts, slides and spins to occur at non-hair raising speeds. After numerous spins, I was getting to grips with the track’s lack of grip.

Going at full throttle through a long downhill righthander into the back straight was cutting a bit close to the edge of stability. The chassis squirmed with slight oversteer, requiring twitchy steering corrections.

On one attempt, a bout of instability went uncaught and I spun down the back straight. As the world precessed around, I could see the small brother several seconds behind me. I came to a stop in the middle of the track; he moved to the side I was facing, an evil grin clearly visible behind the helmet’s Perspex visor.

He nudged the brakes and gave the wheel a slight yank in my direction. Pulling the wheel back around and returning to full throttle, he drifted across my field of vision, all four slick tyres sliding on the wet track. A hand was extended over his forehead, the thumb and index fingers resembling a large L for loser.

Running out of stability, he straightened out and went along his way to the next corner.

Remarkable what a 15 year old can learn from Playstation and GT.

Labels: