Monday, April 16, 2007

There goes the weekend, pranced past in the multi-coloured blur of a magnificently huge dim sum brunch, cleaning and rearranging the house, endurance racing on GT3, time wasted waiting for late trams and idle time-wasting in general.


***


Tan Yee Wei asked me what I'm obsessed with:
Knives
Optical instruments
GT3, for now

I’m not tagging anyone.


Perhaps we should fleetingly introduce this confusing character who has the same name as me, the one who said, “Gah... my email's [address removed]. Now I know who took the other tanyeewei.” She’s female; I’m not.
[truncated]
I’ll come over and marry you tomorrow
Haha

...
Nono, can’t do that
There’d be problems with the name
Yup
It will drive the guests mad
Haha
The bride and groom's sides will sit haphazardly

I think it will drive us nuts too

The scope for daft jokes is quite vast.


***


On optical instruments, I received my recently ordered lenses, a Super Takumar 135mm f3.5 and a Jupiter-9 85mm f2.0.



And there they are, the 85mm Soviet copy of the German Carl-Zeiss Sonnar, and the Japanese Super-Takumar 135mm. Note the minimum focal distances of 0.7 m and 1.5 m are closer than what most zoom lenses can give.





The Super-Takumar has six aperture blades (resulting in the hexagonal aperture when partially closed) while the Jupiter-9 has...



Ah yes, the Jupiter-9 has 16 aperture blades, resulting in a hexadecagon aperture. By the way, you will need your fingers and toes to count the aperture blades. Unless you are a male with three 5-fingered hands...


***


The first two minutes of the GT3 intro scene is superb. With various views into an operational engine block, it’s sure to get any petrol head’s blood running. I especially love the scene with the invisible engine block, pumping pistons, combusting fuel mixture and running cam shafts- it nearly always brings tears to my eyes, and I can watch it over and over again.



Labels: , , , , ,