Monday, June 27, 2005

Me acting funny at billboards

Some days ago, I saw an article at BBC about the moon appearing to be larger than usual these few days. Sure enough, I saw the (apparently) huge moon on Saturday night while walking home after sending a guinea pig to a 24 hour vet and finding upon arrival that it was already dead. Exactly 7 days in my care and it dies; my cousin would never trust me with her animals anymore.

Anyway, back to the lunar business. It was just a bit after moonrise, and next to the skyscrapers, the moon was definitely not to be ignored. Potentially magnificent photographic opportunity!

Today, I checked the Melbourne Planetarium for the moon’s behaviour for today. Most relevant to me were these 2 bits of information:
Moon rise at 9.55pm for Saturday night
Moon rise at 106 degrees (16 degrees South of East)


After consulting a map of Melbourne for a suitable location for a “moonrise over river” shot, I decided I’ll leave my place at 9.30pm and take a leisurely stroll across the city to the Yarra River.


I waited at Batman Av on the North bank of the Yarra River


The Moon rise was spectacular to the eye. Very low in the sky, it was a rusty red disc obscured by trees. When it was in proper sight, I realised that the digital camera had only 3x optical zoom- definitely insufficient. The 35mm film camera, an Olympus iS-1000, had 4x, but that was still not enough to stare straight at the moon. Drat…so much for the walk. At times like this, the Olympus C7**UZ series with its massive 10x optical zoom would be most handy.

Well, no close-up moon rise photos unless I get hold of a decent telephoto lens assembly, which is not likely at all. I’ll do some night scene shots then, since I’m already in the city centre with a tripod and 2 cameras.

I saw a set of billboards at the Arts Centre. These boards are illuminated by bright lamps placed at a walkway just below the boards. An interesting idea came to me:
What if I mount the camera on a tripod and point it at the board with a 10s timer, and posed myself in front of the lamp? A self portrait in silhouette, splashed all over a billboard.

It did not work- my shadow would inevitable blot out the entire light beam. And as such I resorted to plain finger gestures. What a bore.





The boards. Top image from melbourne.com.au



The lighting mechanism.



A rude finger. A feisty one, isn’t she?



A dog head, but I messed up my fingers, so it looks like a pair of blunt scissors now.



I walked around the city for 2.30 hours, snapping many pictures- some good, mostly not; some interesting, mostly not. More to come.

1 Comments:

Blogger lcf said...

wow, interesting shots.
In regard to the "big moon" pictures shown in magazines/books/BBC that you were refering to, sometimes they were taking in two separate shots. The fist one, with a telephoto aim at the moon. The second shot (wihout advancing the film after the first shot) aiming at the scenery. Then, you can get nice night scenery with big moon as background.

2:06 pm, June 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home