Thursday, June 14, 2007

Oh look, it's 4.20 a.m.!

What does one do when one cannot fall asleep despite lying in bed for a couple of fruitless hours? Blog about it, that’s what.

So this is it, I gave up at 3.30 a.m. and got up. My stomach was empty.

The house was completely dark, absolutely quiet and rather cold. Turn on the heater and lights in the living area, boot up the computer, bring the secondary monitor to life, flick the external hard disc’s switch and preheat the oven. There- light, warmth and the soothing whirr of hard discs.

Slide three slices of leftover pizza into the oven, wait 5 minutes and there’s food.



I miss late nights, the quiet moments alone, the elevated sense of self-sufficiency and the illusion of freedom from society.

When I was still in university, the month-long exam period was my favourite part of the semester. With 3 to 6 papers scattered over four weeks and no lectures to attend, I could live as I like. Which means strange sleeping times that generally span from sunrise to noon, but also some that span late evening to 3 am.

Well, those days are over.

Labels: